Wednesday 17 June 2015

...dance, life & the future

WOAH....

It's been ages since I last posted (sorry!) but life seems to have upgraded itself to the fast lane over the past month or so. I've been involved in some great projects, faced a few of my fears and made some important decisions.

I'm guessing that you would like the (no so) juicy details of what I'm rambling on about?

So as most you know, I am a freelance dance artist who is currently based in Newbury, Berkshire. Those of you who are also dance teachers will know all too well that the Summer term is SHOW TERM for each and every dance school/class under the sun. 

So far, I have been involved in FOUR shows this year: FAME with Park House School, Groovy Greeks with Newbury Stagecoach and the annual Dance In The Park & ACE Dance Company shows. As always it is an absolute joy to work with young performers and watch them progress throughout the years. 
As I previously mentioned in my ...Life As A Freelance Dance Artist blog post, I don't JUST teach these wonderful performers. Over the past few weeks I have been...

  1. Making props
  2. Hand painting costumes (33 t-shirts in fact....front & back)
  3. Creating running orders
  4. Designing programmes
  5. Designing adverts & e-Flyers
  6. Answering enquiries about DVD order forms
  7. Arranging Thank You Presents for teachers
  8. Editing music 
  9. Being a social media whizz kid  
So there is another little insight into some of the many jobs us freelance dance people do.


I have also started working for another amazing company named Flux Dance Theatre that was founded by my good friend Charlotte Hale. This company has many strings to its bow but predominantly focuses on the theme of Moving Science. I'm not going to go into all of the different aspects of Flux's work but if you're interested then click the link above. 

In addition to this I have been choreographing two new dance pieces for Mixed Motion. I have made two pieces for the Senior dancers before but I also have the pleasure of working with the Juniors this year too! I love creating new pieces alongside young performers as it is such a valuable experience for them all. 

In my opinion, the more people you get to work with, the better! (for them and for me)

I always try to challenge the dancers that I'm working with as I believe that it's the one of the best ways to grow as an individual. I've seen so many young dancers doing the same routines day in and day out and don't get me wrong, those routines/moves are looking fierce....but I think that versatility never hurt anyone (I think it's very beneficial actually). I'm going to stop ranting about that now as I could go on for days!!

I'm actually going to skip the comment about facing my fears as I've decided just now that I am going to write a entirely separate post about that. What a treat for you guys, eh?!

Onto the big decision that I made....

I have been doing a lot of thinking recently about my career. I moved back to Newbury, just over a year ago, after living in London for over a year. I have always viewed this as a stepping stone to the next place and I am nearly ready to up my roots and move forward. 

Whilst thinking about this, I contemplated getting a 'normal' job for the sake of a regular and stable wage but the thought of sitting in an office from 9-5 each day makes me want to cry (I seriously look up to each and every person that does that). I scouted around for some potential part-time/freelance administration jobs but found nothing that would also allow me to teach/perform/choreograph. After a long while I decided that...

FREELANCING IS THE BEST OPTION FOR ME    =]

Now, I'm not saying that this is 100% the only thing that I am going to do for the rest of my life but it IS the only thing that is currently allowing me to do all of the things that I enjoy and love. 

So I have taken the plunge and enrolled myself onto a 'Start Your Own Business Course' which has 30 modules to help you get everything in order to set up your own business. EXCITING STUFF! 
I am not planning to set up the business until Summer 2016 as I think it would be wise to take my time with getting everything in order. I haven't done much yet but I have decided on a name but you'll have to wait to find out about that one =P 

I guess that's it for now! I just wanted to give you all a 'little insight into' my life at the moment. 
I'd love to hear about what you've been up to, so leave me a comment down below!

Big loves, 
Steph xxx

4 comments:

  1. look at you all busy and stuff! i literally just teach with the company i do in Leicester and focusing on this new project which I hope will support you too :)
    everything sounds so exciting for you Steph (as always!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Emmie! It's nice to hear about what you're up to as well. I cannot wait for the new project, it's super exciting! x

      Delete
  2. Love your blog and your post,i'm going to follow you on GFC,bloglovin and everywhere( so glad I found you on twitter )
    xoxo Antonella
    Keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that really means a lot. I've been a bit rubbish at posting recently but I'm planning on getting a plan together so that I post more often. Glad that you enjoyed it! xx

      Delete