Saturday 2 May 2015

...all things aerial and hoopy

Early today I took part in my first ever Bloggers Twitter Chat using the hashtag #socialbloggers - todays topic was 'Stepping Out of your Comfort Zone' which made me think of how I've been venturing outside of my comfort zone.

In the past few months I have been involving myself in some new and exciting hobbies and I have been feeling great because of it.

'What have you been up to then Steph?' I hear you asking...

Here's what!

1. Aerial Hoop 
I started participating in Aerial Hoop classes in January and have been obsessed ever since. The bruises can be rather off-putting but a good chum told me that 'bruises are just the trophies of what you've done' and I like to think that is true. 
The class that I go to is held at Spin City Newbury every Wednesday from 6-7pm. They are taught by my beautiful friend Yasmin Strong, who is an absolute aerial wizard!!
Have a look for yourselves...

The class is a beginners class where you learn how to get in and out of the hoop safely, build upper body strength, learn all of the beginners moves and begin to put a routine together. As well as gaining these new skills, I have made a new group of friends and my confidence has risen. 

I'd recommend that each any every one of you should try an aerial class at some point in your lives. It makes you reignite your childhood sense of fun, creativity and risk. It's amazing! 

Check out Spin City *here*


2. Aerial Yoga
I began going to aerial Yoga classes earlier on this year and instantly fell in love with it. 
As a dancer, I have found difficult to find deeper stretches to improve my flexibility due to being rather flexible already. Aerial Yoga has provided me with equipment to find these stretches. 
But you'll be pleased to know that you don't have to be a dancer to reap the benefits of this type of class!
Aerial Yoga uses slings that support your weight - whether that be one limb or your entire body (you can even use it like a hammock) 

This is amazing for relaxation, stretching and for an all round sense of fun! You get to invert (go upside down), swing, play AND get a work out at the same time! WINNER! 

After igniting my love for Aerial Yoga, I have since started training to become an Aerial Yoga Instructor. I am doing my training through the Wild Lotus Studio that is based in Newbury, Berkshire. They are holding an Aerial Yoga Instructor Training in May 2016! 

If you would like more details click *here*


3. Hula Hoop
Like many of us, I loved hula hooping as a kid. I had no special tricks, I was just pretty good at hooping around my waist. I once hula hooped for 45mins without stopping! 

Last week I had the urge to start hooping again. I mentioned it to my friend and she said that her friend Roxy was just about to pop over to have a hula hoop play around in the park. So obviously I tagged along and went for a play. I am not kidding when I say...

I HAD THE BESTEST TIME


I learnt a few basic tricks and got to spend an afternoon hooping in the sunshine. HEAVEN
Since then I have been practising my new tricks and bought my very own hoop from Roxy. 

Roxy is an incredible teacher, performer and person. 
Check out her crazy hoop skills here...




So there you have it! I have gone a little aerial and hooping mad!

What crazy and fun things have you been doing recently? I'd love to know! 

Big Loves, 

Steph x

No comments:

Post a Comment